Fear no swim! The Colorado Ocean Walker Swim Challenge is a highly focused training camp series & open water race event. You will swim more efficiently, be more confident in open water and see quicker swim splits.
Join us by signing up for a full two-day training camp to learn the Ocean Walker swim technique. At the end of the week there will be an open water swim event to put your new skills and confidence to the test!
The 2-day training camp and the subsequent open water swim race can be registered for separately. You are NOT required to attend the training camp in order to participate in the open water swim race and you do NOT have to do the swim race if you’re only interested in the training camp – pick and choose what works for you, sign up for one or both!
Location, Mapping & Parking
Training Venue: Pool (to be indicated)
Address: Fort Collins
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/eBLr42P9zGS2
Open Water Race Venue: Boyd Lake State Park (main swim beach area)
Address: 3720 N Co Rd 11C, Loveland, CO 80538
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/8xjzSkNWEXp
Accommodations: HotelPlanner Specials for Breakaway Athletic Events
Exclusive Training Camp with Adam ‘Ocean’ Walker brought to you by Breakaway Athletic Events
Adam ‘Ocean’ Walker the World Record breaking swimmer and best selling author of Man vs Ocean is coming to Colorado! He’ll run a series of two day swim camps. You’ll have a unique opportunity to learn arguably the most efficient front crawl swim technique in the world from the creator himself. Adam became internationally recognized after swimming ‘Ocean Seven’, the world’s toughest ocean swims. He became the first and only British person to date to complete the feat.
After swimming the English Channel in 2008 he was advised to give up swimming by a specialist, following two operations on his shoulder. As giving up wasn’t an option he created a front crawl swim stroke called the ‘Ocean Walker Technique’. This technique saw him across 6 more ocean swims including Spain to Morocco and back to Spain, the Catalina Channel, the Molokai Channel, the Tsugaru Channel, Cook Strait and Ireland to Scotland; all non-stop swimming without a wetsuit. On the way he was stung by deadly Portuguese man o war, chased by sharks, suffered severe sickness swimming up to 60 kilometers and 17 hours non-stop.
In 2013 he began coaching the technique and it’s known around the world for making you a faster and more energy efficient swimmer while helping to protect the body from injury.
Adam and Breakaway Athletic Events will also host an open water swim event at the end of training camp week to include 1.5k, 3k & 6k distances -or- all three of you want to take on the ‘Ocean Walker Warrior‘ Challenge! There is also a 250 meter Ocean Walker dolphin challenge (youth series swim race).
After the open water race event there will be an evening talk/presentation. This is a great opportunity to hear the inspirational story on how Adam went from toaster salesman to one of the World’s Best Open Water Swimmers. One epic week of swimming? That might be an understatement!
LEARN HOW TO SWIM FASTER FOR LONGER WITH THE OCEAN WALKER TECHNIQUE
- 8 hours of coached pool time
- Above and underwater video analysis
- Theory on the technique – find out how and why it works
- Split screen video comparisons of you and Adam Walker
- Access to Adam Walker’s video drills (not available on social media)
- Access to private Facebook group for additional tips and advice
- INCLUDED Ocean Walker swim cap
- INCLUDED ticket to the Adam Walker ‘Oceans 7 Talk’ (Sat Sept. 14th afternoon/evening)
- 25% DISCOUNT on any open water race at the 2019 Ocean Walker Swim Challenge – Saturday September 14th
RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW!
- Two-Day Camp || Wednesday 9-11-19 & Thursday 9-12-19 – 2019 || Limited to 12 slots
- Starts at 2pm / 14:00 on Wednesday 9-11-19 & Finishes at 6:30pm / 18:30 on Thursday 9-12-19
- Specific Itinerary will be confirmed and emailed to athletes that sign up at least 60 days before
- $699 per person
- This camp session runs over 2 days. If you are travelling, we strongly recommend you arrange accommodations. HotelPlanner Specials for Breakaway Athletic Events
- All training will take place in a swimming pool for analysis purposes
- Due to everyone’s different dietary needs, please bring your own lunches, meals, snacks and drinks. Lunches / meals are not provided by Breakaway Athletic Events. The venue will have a small food prep area and light snacks/water will be available.
- Locker rooms will be available for storing personal goods (please bring a lock) as well as towels, a change of clothes and footwear. Dry clothes should be changed into for classroom/theory sessions. Lunch areas include outdoor grass areas (pending weather, please bring a blanket or towel to sit on), bleacher seating poolside or the classroom setting.
This training camp does not automatically include entry to the open water race event series.
25% Race discount for Ocean Walker Training Camp Participants. Discount codes will be emailed once you sign up for the training camp OR can be purchased during camp signup.
Adam Ocean Walker will be co-hosting this event. He’ll be there all morning giving you a motivational boost before your race, providing commentary throughout and will present the awards to podium finishers. Race day will be EPIC!Please take note of your specific race details, distances and familiarize yourself with any course maps.
Open Water Swim Event:
- 250 Meter Splash Youth (junior Ocean Walkers!!! ages 8-15)
- 1500 Meter Swim Course
- 3000 Meter Swim Course
- 6000 Meter Swim Course (Kayak & Volunteer Required)
- All Three Adult Swims (10.5km) | Ocean Walker Warrior Challenge! (Kayak & Volunteer Required)
Swim Course Conditions: Expected water temperature range of 65-72 degrees will make for a very comfortable swim, with or without a wet-suit. This clockwise looped course will keep the sun out of your eyes and provide easy shore sighting – great for first timers or seasoned athletes.
Food options & local vendors will line the open water swim parking lot with some great goodies for everyone. Vegan & Vegetarian friendly options will be a priority. Please check out our sponsors & vendors section below for a complete list as this is updated on a regular basis as we add more.
- The open water swim courses and venues are subject to change pending permit & insurance allowances. As of May 20th, 2019, they are accurate.
- The “Ocean Walker Warrior ALL THREE Challenge” AND 6000 Meter Swim requires each athlete to have their OWN provided kayak support person. Please contact us for details.
Prices do not include transaction fees, where applicable
|Pricing Date Tiers|
|Dates||3/1 to 4/6||4/7 to 6/1||6/2 to 9/8|
|Training Camp Two-Day||$699||$699||$699|
|Open Water Swim 250M Youth||$25||$30||$35|
|Open Water Swim 1500 Meter||$45||$50||$55|
|Open Water Swim 3000 Meter||$60||$65||$70|
|Open Water Swim 6000 Meter||$85||$90||$95|
|Open Water Swim All 3 | Warrior||$140||$145||$150|
To ensure you receive a correctly sized t-shirt or any custom items, please register by SATURDAY 8/3
After this date we can NOT guarantee these item specifics.
**Week-of and morning of open water swim registration will be announced if available, 5 days prior to race day**
Every open water swim athlete gets:
- Race T-Shirt or Hat (depending on race entry)
- Finisher Medal (upon crossing the finish line)
- Fun Swag Bag
- Post Race Meal & Drinks
- Tons of High Fives, Smiles & Crowd Support
- An Awesome Swim Race Experience
Packet Pickup – Thursday & Friday – NOTED In The Next Section
RACE DAY – Saturday September 14th, 2019 (times are subject to change)
7:15am: Race Day Packet Pick Up
*Pre-pay for race day pick up online
Body or Wrist Marking Available
8:00am: Swim Area Open for Warmup & Swim Course Notes | All Kayaks must be in the water by this time.
8:15am: Warrior Swim Start (mass start)
8:45am: 6000K Swim Start (mass start)
8:50am: 3000K Swim Start (mass start)
9:00am: 1500K Swim Start (mass start)
10:30am: 250M Youth Swim Start (age wave start)
12:30pm: Swim Course Cut-Off
Overall & Awards announced throughout the morning
1:30pm: Race Closure
5:30pm-7:30pm (approximate): Adam Ocean Walker Talk & Presentation (Fort Collins venue TBD)
Location: *Main area of the race* There is a $5 race day pick-up fee that should be pre-paid online. If you did NOT pay this fee, please bring CASH to packet pickup on race day (this speeds up the line). Before arriving to Packet Pick Up:
- Make sure you are registered. You do not need to bring documents or a printout. If you are registered, you will be in our system.
- Bring photo ID. This is an insurance and sanction rule that cannot be avoided. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must be present. Due to this rule, you cannot pick up a packet for anyone else. No exceptions.
- Be prepared to have an athlete bracelet fastened on your wrist (this is required for transition access on race day).
Important TIMING CHIP Info: Your timing chip CAN NOT be picked up prior to race morning. There will be a chip pickup table inside transition on race morning. BRING ATHLETE BRACELET OR “CHIP SLIP”- NO Bracelet or Slip NO Timing Chip
Vendors & Sponsors
- Top three overall Male & Female Award (1500 Meter): Award & an extra special finisher swag bag
- Top three overall Male & Female Award (3000 Meter): Award & an extra special finisher swag bag
- Top three overall Male & Female Award (6000 Meter): Award & an extra special finisher swag bag
- Top three overall Male & Female Award (Ocean Walker Warrior): Award & an extra special finisher swag bag
- Top three overall Male & Female Award (250 Meter Youth): Award & an extra special finisher swag bag
Awards Ceremony will commence mid morning, pending the overall athletes remaining on the course. Athletes are encouraged to stay for the awards or have someone pick up their award.
Note: This training camp series & race event, “Colorado OceanWalker Swim Challenge”, is in NO way
officially associated with the City of Fort Collins, Horsetooth Reservoir, Boyd Lake State Park or it’s employees.